Wednesday, June 16, 2010

running wednesday…#3

The tunes…

Do you have a favorite song that gets you going?

I’m a music girl…love it! Running just gives me another opportunity to revel in it.

Hey! I should have added that to my list of benefits last week!

Here are three songs I just added to a play list for my runs:

Where are We Runnin’? by Lenny Kravitz

California Gurls by Katy Perry

Hey, Soul Sister by Train

Now…those are not necessarily songs I let my kiddos hear…but they get me moving.

And this one: Just Fine by Mary J Blige…love the words:

“You know I love music
And every time I hear something hot
It makes me wanna move
It makes me wanna have fun…

…It’s been a long week, I put in my hardest
Gonna live my life, feels so good to get it right
So I like what I see when I’m looking at me
When I’m walking past the mirror
No stress through the night, at a time in my life
Ain’t worried about if you feel it
Got my head on straight, I got my mind right
I aint gonna let you kill it
You see I wouldn’t change my life, my life’s just…..
Fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, ooooh “

Aren’t those the best lyrics?! It’s a good song.

Currently I have four or five run playlists.

One is praise/worship songs only and honestly, I probably listen to it the most. It’s all upbeat praise songs…Fee and Lincoln Brewster and Francesca Battistelli. It is usually my go to since I use my runs as some time to reflect a lot and this music doesn’t distract me from that.

But I also have three other lists that are dance music and fun songs I love. Again, probably not songs I would play for my kids (most of them are fine, but there are some questionable ones in there)…but songs that keep me moving. I have so many because I don’t like to get sick of one. With my Nike+iPod function, I can’t shuffle the lists like I can if I just listen to the iPod straight.

For my recent 5k I created a list specifically so that when I hit certain songs I knew where I should be.  It took some time to create, but I loved it. I will say that during the race, I don’t really notice the songs…but a few really stuck in my mind from this list…

Party in the U.S.A. by Miley Cyrus (yes, Hannah Montana…but that song totally gets me going…I love it!)

Bad Romance by Lady Gaga (I don’t even remember hearing this song that day…but it’s another get it moving song)

So What by P!nk (love her songs!!!!)

Shut Up and Let Me Go by the Ting Tings (this song just makes me move…and this would be just over a mile gone)

Meet Me Halfway by the Black Eyed Peas (stating the obvious…I should have been halfway by the time this song ended…and I was. However…the words say “I can’t go much further than this” in the song. Hello? Not what you want to hear. So although I love this song and the BEP…it won’t be my halfway song again. I kept repeating…yes, you can everytime Fergie said it. :)

Boom Boom Pow by Black Eyed Peas (haha, I just noticed that I had two BEP songs back to back…I have a rule about that. Oh well)

The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani (should hit between 2.5 and 3 miles)

I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas (this was the song I wanted to finish on…and I did!)

Just a Girl by No Doubt (I through in an extra song in case it took me longer than I was hoping…just in case…I would hate to run out of tunes…and yes, I wanted to shame myself it it took me longer than I wanted…you girl!)

 

I’ll share my other run lists soon…didn’t to overwhelm you with hundreds of songs in one post.

How about you…what is your favorite running tune? Maybe I’ll add it to one of my lists. I should start working on my 10k one. 6.2 miles of music will take longer to finagle. I will say that I think Living on a Prayer (Bon Jovi) is my new halfway song (“Oh, we’re halfway there…”) but I need to listen to it closely to make sure it won’t be talking me down.

Kristen

p.s. A big Happy 6th Birthday to my middle guy…he’s a music boy, too…we share a love of all kinds of music. Drives my husband crazy! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Soul Sister is on my playlist. I listened to it on repeat during Monday's run.

    Today, I'm all about Sting. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Just saw your link on the RLAM site. Living on a Prayer is a great halfway song, we used to listen to it in this crazy intense workout class I used to go to, it was great.

    I'm just starting training for my first 10K, so am also trying to find some new music to run to. I find I'm sometimes surprised over what songs I like... and others I think will be great I end up skipping a lot... so I'm always revising/changing things.

    Here are a few that have stayed on my running list for a long time:
    - Can’t Stop – Red Hot Chili Peppers (I usually hit skip somewhere in the middle, but that start always gets me pumped up)
    - Fighter – Christina Augliera
    - Survivor – Destiny’s Child
    - Ain’t Goin’ Down Til the Sun Comes Up – Garth Brooks (perfect pace for me!)
    - I Just Wanna Live – Good Charlotte (I am SO not a Good Charlotte fan, but this song is AWESOME to run to!)
    - Mr. Jones – Counting Crows (a little slow if I need pumping up, but a nice distraction in the middle of a long, slow run since I can zone out and sing along to it – in my head, of course lol)

    ReplyDelete