Monday, September 27, 2010

the lies…

One of my favorite running blogs is written by the authors of my favorite running book. (Check it out here)…and once a week they feature a mom runner. I love Thursdays when this feature pops up on my Google Reader. I love to discover new blogs and new fellow mom runners.

This week it helped me discover a new blog to add to my list.

Real Mom Nutrition seems to be a great resource for making the food we serve our kids better for them. I haven’t read everything she’s written but what stood out for me are these…

Three big, fat nutrition lies:
1. You have to drink 8 glasses of plain water every day. So many people get hung up on this. Plain water is great, but all beverages count toward your fluid goal. And it you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, you’re getting a lot of water through food. So you can officially stop stressing out!
2. If it’s from the gourmet market, it’s good for you. Those $5 cookies may be made with organic fruit juice concentrate but they’re still cookies. Not saying you should never eat cookies, but don’t fool yourself about what you’re really eating.
3. High fructose corn syrup is evil. It breaks down into glucose and fructose in your digestive system, just like regular table sugar. Switching to a granola bar with sucrose instead of HFCS is a waste of time (and money, since these products can be more expensive, too). You’re better off just watching ALL added sugar in your diet, no matter where it comes from.

:source

These three lies resonated with me. #1 not as strongly…I’m a big water drinker and I prefer to get most of my fluids from water. I don’t think a big old Diet Coke is doing my body good like a large glass of water.

But #2 and #3 are big ones. I am so tired of people hyping the gourmet and organic foods. Guess what…Organic sugar is SUGAR. It’s not good for your body (and before you start commenting on how organic produce is best because of all the chemicals it avoids…let me tell you that I am mostly talking about the people who keep preaching that organic anything is better than regular….just because it has the word organic in it. If you are going to start an argument at least have some ‘meat’ to it…like the amount of sugar is lower or the type of fats is different. Just slapping the word organic on it or buying it from the natural foods store doesn’t not inherently make it better for you).

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Have fun checking her out…

Who are your favorite bloggers?

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment