Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Running Wednesday

Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve done a running post! Things are still going well…fabulous actually.

I feel great. My knees are holding up (using the straps and working on hip, glute and overall leg strength). And I’m over halfway into my training program. I had a 6 mile long run this past weekend and felt amazing. It’s 7 on tap for me this weekend. I’m up to 4.5 twice a week on my mid week runs. I try to cross train an additional 1-2 days a week and squeeze in 1-2 days of strength training too. I know. It’s a lot of gym time. I really like it right now though, so it works for me.

I ended up signing up for an alternative Half Marathon which is only two weeks later than my originally planned Shamrock. You can read what happened with that here.

I don’t think I ever did a by the numbers post for January, did I? Hmmmm…I’ll have to do that for tomorrow since I had lots of stuff to post! But since I’m talking about running I’ll tell you that I ran 57.6 miles in January…and I’m on pace to beat that for this month.

That is HUGE for me people. I celebrated my Runner-versary in January. I’ve been on this running journey for 1 year now. Wow. (In addition my Half at the end of March, I also signed up for a 5k the first weekend in April…it was my first race last year and I’m going to ROCK a new PR!)

In other running news…

I’m a huge fan of Kristin Armstrong’s writing. She is just so real and I dig authenticity in women. You can check out her blog for Runner’s World here. Anyway, she just announced that her new book is ready to Pre-Order. Yes, please!

Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run

 

Check it out here: Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run If you pre-order you can get it under $10. (BTW…can I somehow order the gams on those gals on the cover too?) Can’t wait to read this book with my Sole Sisters!

And then today I log onto Facebook and see my other favorite running authors post this:

“Some good news for mid-week: Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea [will write] TRAIN LIKE A MOTHER, a follow-up to their RUN LIKE A MOTHER, which will comprehensively focus on how to train for a race and cover the importance of strength training and injury prevention, but with the same wit and tone as their first book. (From Publisher's Weekly)”

Yahoo! This book was the one that got me so pumped up at the beginning of my journey as a runner. It is a must-read for those mother runners out there. Actually any runner…but it will be funniest if you are a mom, too.Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity

 

While you are at it…go follow Sarah and Dimity on Facebook. They post giveaways, mother runner stories and fun questions. It’s a cool community to be a part of. And I know you want to be one of the cool kids, right?

So how is your training coming along? Do you have a race scheduled?

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment