Monday, October 19, 2009

flippin' out...

So we've established that I'm a sketch girl, right? Whether it's Becky's sketches, fun finds on the internet, sketches drawn from favorite layouts or from my own head...I like to use sketches to organize the beginnings of my layouts.

The fun part is...when you find a sketch you like, you can use it over and over! I don't always scrap chronologically so as long as the layouts won't be back to back in my book, I'm fine with re-purposing a sketch. And the best part is...you can make it look different by just flipping a few elements!

For example:



Happy Birthday Sam layout from my January kit layouts. This sketch I came up with out of my head. Who knows, I may have lifted it from something I had seen somewhere along the way...but one day it came to me and I drew it in my notebook and saved it for the perfect layout. One that needed room for lots of pictures or lots of journaling...or a little of both.

For this one, I rounded the corners of all the rectangles and sanded the edges of both the papers and pictures for a fun distressed look. Only one of the rectangles became a journaling block and two others were patterned paper accents. Butting the pictures and papers up to the edges of the layout game me a bit more room. All the small rectangles are 2" x 3" with a smidge trimmed off for wiggle room. The squares are 3x3 and the big photo is straight from the printer at 4x6

I loved this sketch so much that I decided to do a layout in each of the boys' books. Tyler's is still at Green Tangerines and I forgot to photograph it before I turned it in (silly me) so I'll post that another time. But here is Jake's. It's a review of him at 6 (hence the title 'at 6')...so I needed more space for journaling. Just take a few of the rectangles and replace the photos with your journaling.



Did you notice I just flipped the sketch a bit and combined some of the squares into 3x6 photos?




This used an American Crafts line from a bit ago. I loved the colors and the fun letter patterned paper as well as the quote patterned paper! AC paper is fun to distress by sanding the edges too!

I'd love to see what you come up with using the sketch...link your layout in the comments and I'll come check it out! :)

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment